Police: Autistic man kept in dungeon-like room
MIAMI (AP) - August 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a Miami-area woman repeatedly drugged her autistic adult son and locked him in a filthy, dungeon-like room with iron bars inside her mobile home so she could spend time with her boyfriend.
Gladys Jaramillo has been charged with aggravated abuse and neglect on a mentally disabled adult and false imprisonment. It is not clear if she has an attorney. The 56-year-old Jaramillo was being held on $15,000 bond.
An anonymous caller tipped off Sweetwater Police on Thursday, saying the 30-year-old man was often locked up and left alone for long periods.
A person familiar with the investigation told The Associated Press that adult protective investigators visited the home in March after receiving a complaint to the state's abuse hotline, but the case was closed after it the house was found clean and the man well cared for.
florida, autism, national/world
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 35 min ago
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion 55 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 4 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 35 min ago
- Police ID man killed in shooting that led to standoff 7 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 10 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 28 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 10 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
55 min ago