Pipeline fire lights up sky in Illilois
ERIE, Ill. (AP) - August 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- A fuel pipeline beneath a western Illinois cornfield has exploded, sending flames 300 feet into the sky and prompting dozens of evacuations, fire officials said.
The massive Whiteside County fire was reported around 11:15 p.m. Monday after residents heard a blast, said Scott Melton, the assistant fire chief in the community of Erie. No one was injured, but the towering flames could be seen for miles.
The pipeline was carrying a mixture of ethane and propane, Melton said.
Authorities evacuated about 80 families living within a mile radius of the fire and shut down some nearby roads. By Tuesday morning all but two families were allowed to return to their homes. The remaining families were being kept away as a precaution, he said.
Melton said workers with the pipeline owner, Houston-based Enterprise Products Partners, were able to remotely turn off a valve to limit the gas flow to the site and that crews were investigating what caused the fire.
"It's not much of a fire now, but there's still some fuel left in the pipe and they're going to let that burn off, because it's the safest way to handle it," he said.
A message was left with an Enterprise spokesman before business hours Tuesday.
Erie is about 27 miles northeast of Davenport, Iowa.
illinois, explosion, gas leak, national/world
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 16 min ago
- Milder Monday 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 16 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 16 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 16 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up 14 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
16 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
16 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
16 min ago
- Milder Monday
3 min ago