UPS cargo plane crash kills 2 crew members
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - August 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- Boxes and charred debris are scattered across a grassy field near the Birmingham, Alabama airport, after this morning's crash of a UPS cargo plane. The pilot and the co-pilot, the only people on board the jet, were killed.
The crash site had been burning, but the local fire chief says the blaze was put out by late morning.
One woman who lives near the airport says she was in bed before dawn when she heard what sounded like engines sputtering as the plane went over her house.
Another resident, Jerome Sanders, who lives directly across from the runway, says he heard the plane, and could see flames second before it crashed. He says, "It was on fire before it hit."
The crash, which apparently toppled a tree and a utility pole, didn't affect operations at the nearby airport.
UPS says the plane was carrying a variety of cargo.
alabama, plane crash, ups, national/world
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend 7 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street 15 min ago
- 4 shot outside Del. club after Meek Mill performance
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist 35 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila. after-hours club 36 min ago
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary 21 min ago
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila....
36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
7 min ago