Bridge truck fire sends smoke billowing over NYC
NEW YORK (AP) - August 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A truck fire on a major New York City bridge has been brought under control hours after it sent huge clouds of black smoke billowing over the city.
There were no reports of injuries Friday in the fire on the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge. Traffic delays were reported on the major crossing between Manhattan and Queens.
Thick, black smoke billowed from the double-decker span's lower level. It took about two hours to get the fire under control.
WINS Radio reported that electrical cables that stretch along the side of the bridge also caught fire.
It's unclear how long it might take for normal traffic to resume.
new york city, fire, national/world
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed 34 min ago
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs; $1M ticket sold in NJ
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Bedbug fighter recalled over fire hazard