Utah girl dies after wind sends trampoline flying
PANGUITCH, Utah (AP) - August 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 9-year-old southern Utah girl is dead after a strong wind gust picked up the backyard trampoline she was sitting on and sent it flying more than 150 feet.
Garfield County sheriff's officials say Oaklee Sidwell was playing with friends on the trampoline in her backyard Tuesday in small town of Panguitch. She was the last one sitting on the large trampoline, putting on her shoes, when the sudden gust lifted it and sent it airborne.
The girl fell off the trampoline at some point before it came to rest half a football field away.
She was taken to a local hospital and later flown to a Salt Lake City hospital, where she died Wednesday from multiple injuries.
Sheriff's spokeswoman Cheryl Church says the trampoline was properly assembled, was anchored to the ground and had a safety net. She says it was a tragic, freak accident that has affected the entire county.
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash 3 min ago
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in Whitemarsh 17 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings 6 min ago
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft 10 min ago
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash 17 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy....
3 min ago