Utah girl dies after wind sends trampoline flying
PANGUITCH, Utah (AP) - August 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 9-year-old southern Utah girl is dead after a strong wind gust picked up the backyard trampoline she was sitting on and sent it flying more than 150 feet.
Garfield County sheriff's officials say Oaklee Sidwell was playing with friends on the trampoline in her backyard Tuesday in small town of Panguitch. She was the last one sitting on the large trampoline, putting on her shoes, when the sudden gust lifted it and sent it airborne.
The girl fell off the trampoline at some point before it came to rest half a football field away.
She was taken to a local hospital and later flown to a Salt Lake City hospital, where she died Wednesday from multiple injuries.
Sheriff's spokeswoman Cheryl Church says the trampoline was properly assembled, was anchored to the ground and had a safety net. She says it was a tragic, freak accident that has affected the entire county.
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act 59 min ago