Gun fired in Memphis school cafeteria; no one hurt
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - August 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- A gun discharged inside a 5-year-old kindergartener's backpack at a Tennessee elementary school cafeteria on Thursday, though no one was hurt, officials said.
A statement from the Shelby County school district said the gun went off inside a kindergarten student's backpack as students were waiting for the opening bell in the cafeteria of Westside Elementary School. There were no injuries. School staffers immediately took control of the backpack.
School security officers and the Memphis Police Department responded quickly, the district said. The child was detained and was still being questioned by officers Thursday afternoon, with the child's mother present. Police spokeswoman Karen Rudolph said investigators were trying to determine how the gun ended up in the backpack.
Students were kept safe and calm while the matter was handled, the district said.
There was no evidence of harmful intent, the school district said.
"However, weapons of any kind are prohibited on campuses, and this student will be disciplined in accordance with the state's zero tolerance policy," the statement said.
The zero-tolerance policy calls for "certain, swift and reasoned punishment" for students who bring drugs or guns to school. It could include expulsion.
tennessee, guns, school, national/world
- Video captures Laundromat robbery 7 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee 31 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 43 min ago
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 39 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks...
39 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos