'Everything but the pews' stolen from Massachusetts church
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) - August 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A longtime member of a Massachusetts church says thieves have ransacked the house of worship, taking "everything but the pews."
Bernadine Smith says the thieves entered the Holy Temple Church of God in Christ in Springfield sometime last week and snatched an organ, communion dishes, the PA system, microphone stands, furniture, silverware and other items. She estimates the losses at $150,000.
Police Sgt. John Delaney said somebody used a key to enter the church between Aug. 20 and Aug. 22.
The 80-year-old congregation has been at its present Bay Street location since 1965.
Smith tells The Republican the church has insurance, but those documents may have also been stolen.
She says everything is gone except for "the pews and a couple chairs out of the pulpit."
massachusetts, robbery, theft, national/world
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 25 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 18 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 38 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ