'Everything but the pews' stolen from Massachusetts church
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) - August 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A longtime member of a Massachusetts church says thieves have ransacked the house of worship, taking "everything but the pews."
Bernadine Smith says the thieves entered the Holy Temple Church of God in Christ in Springfield sometime last week and snatched an organ, communion dishes, the PA system, microphone stands, furniture, silverware and other items. She estimates the losses at $150,000.
Police Sgt. John Delaney said somebody used a key to enter the church between Aug. 20 and Aug. 22.
The 80-year-old congregation has been at its present Bay Street location since 1965.
Smith tells The Republican the church has insurance, but those documents may have also been stolen.
She says everything is gone except for "the pews and a couple chairs out of the pulpit."
massachusetts, robbery, theft, national/world
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos