Police: 8-year-old boy driving car; sister killed
PHOENIX (AP) - August 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- An 8-year-old boy was driving his mother's car on a nighttime joyride with his 6-year-old sister when it crashed into a pole, fatally injuring the girl, police said Thursday.
The girl and her brother, who received minor injuries in the crash, were both in their pajamas, said Sgt. Steve Martos.
The children's mother had put them to bed and then couldn't find them in their home a half-hour later, Martos said.
The frantic mother went door-to-door in the neighborhood and called police to report her children may have been kidnapped. Meanwhile, the accident had occurred a short distance away.
"It's just an unfortunate tragedy," Martos said.
He said police had received calls about children driving a vehicle and the possible kidnapping.
Officers spotted the vehicle, but when they tried to pull it over, the driver veered to the right and collided with a pole, Martos said.
The mother ran to the scene "and was here when we discovered that it was her two children that were involved in this collision," Martos said.
arizona, child death, national/world
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Sunny and Cooler! 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and Cooler!
19 min ago