Police: 8-year-old boy driving car; sister killed
PHOENIX (AP) - August 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- An 8-year-old boy was driving his mother's car on a nighttime joyride with his 6-year-old sister when it crashed into a pole, fatally injuring the girl, police said Thursday.
The girl and her brother, who received minor injuries in the crash, were both in their pajamas, said Sgt. Steve Martos.
The children's mother had put them to bed and then couldn't find them in their home a half-hour later, Martos said.
The frantic mother went door-to-door in the neighborhood and called police to report her children may have been kidnapped. Meanwhile, the accident had occurred a short distance away.
"It's just an unfortunate tragedy," Martos said.
He said police had received calls about children driving a vehicle and the possible kidnapping.
Officers spotted the vehicle, but when they tried to pull it over, the driver veered to the right and collided with a pole, Martos said.
The mother ran to the scene "and was here when we discovered that it was her two children that were involved in this collision," Martos said.
arizona, child death, national/world
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 1 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County 54 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 30 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police