Bloomberg says de Blasio running "racist" campaign
NEW YORK (AP) - September 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg says the leading Democrat vying to replace him is running a "racist" campaign.
Bloomberg made the comment about candidate Bill de Blasio in an interview with New York magazine due on newsstands Monday. It appeared on the magazine's web site Saturday.
De Blasio is white, but he has been polling well among blacks since he began airing television ads featuring his interracial family. His wife is black and the couple has a 16-year-old son.
He has also criticized Bloomberg as not doing enough for the poor.
Asked to explain why that makes the campaign "racist," Bloomberg told the magazine, "It's comparable to me pointing out I'm Jewish in attracting the Jewish vote."
There was no immediate response from de Blasio.
michael bloomberg, new york city, national/world
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 51 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish