Officer charged in killing of unarmed former FAMU athlete
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - September 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A North Carolina police officer accused of shooting and killing an unarmed man who had apparently been in an automobile wreck was scheduled to appear in court Monday to face a voluntary manslaughter charge.
Jonathan A. Ferrell, 24, a former Florida A&M University football player, was killed early Saturday.
He had sought help at a nearby house, according to a statement from Charlotte-Mecklenburg police. A woman answered the door and, when she didn't recognize the man, called 911.
Officers responding to the breaking and entering call found Ferrell nearby. Ferrell ran toward the officers, who tried to stop him with a Taser. Police said he continued to run toward them when officer Randall Kerrick fired his gun, hitting Ferrell several times. Ferrell died at the scene.
A police statement Saturday said the investigation showed the shooting was excessive and "Kerrick did not have a lawful right to discharge his weapon during this encounter."
FAMU Interim Athletic Director Michael Smith said Ferrell played the safety position for the school's football team during the 2009 and 2010 seasons.
In describing the accident, Police Chief Rodney Monroe has said Ferrell was driving a vehicle that crashed into trees off a northeast Charlotte road early Saturday, and the wreck was so severe he would have had to climb out of the back window to escape. Monroe said he did not know what caused the crash and did not say whether Ferrell suffered injuries.
Ferrell apparently walked about a half-mile to the nearest house and was "banging on the door viciously" to attract attention, Monroe said. Thinking it was her husband coming home late from work, the woman who lives there opened the door. When she saw Ferrell, she shut it and called police about 2:30 a.m., Monroe said.
Monroe said he didn't think the unarmed Ferrell made threats or tried to rob the woman.
shooting, police, north carolina, national/world
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash 1 min ago
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in Whitemarsh 14 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings 3 min ago
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft 7 min ago
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash 14 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy....
1 min ago