Girl, 14, abducted in Ga. home invasion has been found
ELLENWOOD, Ga. - September 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 14-year-old Georgia girl abducted in a home invasion robbery was found alive on Wednesday after a massive search by multiple law enforcement agencies.
Ayvani Hope Perez had been taken from her home early Tuesday after authorities said robbers broke in, demanded money and jewelry and were told there was none. Authorities have said the robbery and abduction appeared to be random.
Clayton County Police Chief Gregory Porter said the girl was found in Conyers and has been reunited with her family.
"She's in good health, she's being evaluated as we speak," Porter said.
He said two suspects were in custody.
The FBI and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation assisted Clayton County police in the search.
Two men, described as wearing black clothing and armed with handguns, pried open a back door of the home in the Ellenwood area around 2:15 a.m. Tuesday, demanding the items, authorities said.
The family had moved in about a month ago and apparently didn't know the suspects, authorities said.
Ayvani's mother had her daughter and her 15-year-old son hiding inside the home, but the intruders were able to find them, police said in a statement. The men abducted Ayvani with no explanation, police said.
The crime happened on a cul-de-sac in Ellenwood, a small community about 10 miles southeast of Atlanta, police said. The subdivision of two-story homes is on the northern edge of Clayton County, just south of the DeKalb County line.
Tuesday evening, more than 150 people gathered in a circle and held hands in prayer at the candlelight vigil at Dutchtown High School in Hampton, the Atlanta newspaper reported. Many teens there - holding posters with Ayvani's name and pictures of them with her - were her classmates at the school.
amber alert, abduction, kidnapping, georgia, national/world
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 24 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 19 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 44 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 29 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
24 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
44 min ago