Girl, 14, abducted in Ga. home invasion has been found
ELLENWOOD, Ga. - September 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 14-year-old Georgia girl abducted in a home invasion robbery was found alive on Wednesday after a massive search by multiple law enforcement agencies.
Ayvani Hope Perez had been taken from her home early Tuesday after authorities said robbers broke in, demanded money and jewelry and were told there was none. Authorities have said the robbery and abduction appeared to be random.
Clayton County Police Chief Gregory Porter said the girl was found in Conyers and has been reunited with her family.
"She's in good health, she's being evaluated as we speak," Porter said.
He said two suspects were in custody.
The FBI and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation assisted Clayton County police in the search.
Two men, described as wearing black clothing and armed with handguns, pried open a back door of the home in the Ellenwood area around 2:15 a.m. Tuesday, demanding the items, authorities said.
The family had moved in about a month ago and apparently didn't know the suspects, authorities said.
Ayvani's mother had her daughter and her 15-year-old son hiding inside the home, but the intruders were able to find them, police said in a statement. The men abducted Ayvani with no explanation, police said.
The crime happened on a cul-de-sac in Ellenwood, a small community about 10 miles southeast of Atlanta, police said. The subdivision of two-story homes is on the northern edge of Clayton County, just south of the DeKalb County line.
Tuesday evening, more than 150 people gathered in a circle and held hands in prayer at the candlelight vigil at Dutchtown High School in Hampton, the Atlanta newspaper reported. Many teens there - holding posters with Ayvani's name and pictures of them with her - were her classmates at the school.
amber alert, abduction, kidnapping, georgia, national/world
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church 22 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos
- NASA: Space station may have bad valve 5 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed