Man to plead guilty in toddler slapping case
ATLANTA (AP) - October 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Federal prosecutors say a man accused of slapping a crying toddler on a plane will plead guilty.
An email from federal prosecutors did not say what charge Joe Rickey Hundley will plead guilty to during a Wednesday afternoon hearing. He faces a misdemeanor simple assault charge.
His trial had been set to begin Thursday in federal court in Atlanta.
Authorities say Hundley used a racial slur to refer to the 19-month-old boy and then hit him under the right eye as the flight from Minneapolis began its descent to the Atlanta airport in February.
Hundley lived in Idaho at the time but has since moved to North Carolina.
atlanta, children, air travel, trial, national/world
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police