Facebook slaying suspect claims self-defense
MIAMI (AP) - October 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- The South Florida man who fatally shot his wife and posted photographs of her corpse on Facebook tells police he acted in self-defense while she attacked him.
Derek Medina's statement to investigators was released Friday. He contends that he only shot 27-year-old Jennifer Alonso because he feared for his own life. Medina claims Alonso first started throwing boxes, shoes and mascara at him, began punching and hitting him and then pulled a knife.
Medina says he disarmed his wife but that she began hitting him again. That's when he says he started shooting.
Medina has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder with a firearm in the Aug. 8 shooting.
An autopsy report indicates that Alonso was on her knees when she was shot and suffered defensive wounds to her arm.
florida, facebook, national/world
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 13 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 25 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Officials: Feb. pileup on Pa. Turnpike exposed gaps 10 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 30 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
25 min ago