Passengers: Explosion, flames seen on Spirit jet
GRAPEVINE, Texas (AP) - October 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Passengers aboard a Spirit Airlines jet en route to Atlanta say they heard an explosion and saw flames before the plane safely returned to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport.
Passenger Fred Edwards told WGCL-TV in Atlanta that following the explosion flames came up the side of the plane, lighting up the interior of the Airbus A319.
Spirit spokeswoman Misty Pinson says the captain received an indication of a "possible mechanical issue" shortly after takeoff from DFW airport Tuesday. Pinson says there was smoke in the cabin and one engine shut down. She said by email Wednesday that there was no fire.
She says no one on Flight 165 was injured.
The 145 passengers were placed on another Spirit jet for Atlanta later Tuesday.
atlanta, dallas, air travel, spirit airlines, national/world
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine! 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 21 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 33 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine!
43 min ago