House worker yells during vote, woman ID'd
WASHINGTON (AP) - October 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman described by lawmakers and aides as long-time House stenographer, Dianne Reidy was removed from the chamber during a vote after she began shouting.
Reidy was yelling from the rostrum Wednesday just below where the House presiding officer sits. The microphone she was yelling into was off.
Lawmakers said she was yelling about the devil and the House being divided. Texas Democratic Rep. Joaquin Castro said she had a crazed look on her face.
As she was led into an elevator by security, she was heard to shout, "This is not one nation under God. It never was."
Reidy also screamed, "Praise be to God, Lord Jesus Christ."
The outburst occurred while the House was voting on legislation ending the government shutdown and extending the federal debt limit.
washington, d.c., government shutdown, president barack obama, national/world
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg 53 min ago
- Family displaced in Wilmington house fire
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 20 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 5 min ago
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 1 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
1 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
20 min ago