House worker yells during vote, woman ID'd
WASHINGTON (AP) - October 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman described by lawmakers and aides as long-time House stenographer, Dianne Reidy was removed from the chamber during a vote after she began shouting.
Reidy was yelling from the rostrum Wednesday just below where the House presiding officer sits. The microphone she was yelling into was off.
Lawmakers said she was yelling about the devil and the House being divided. Texas Democratic Rep. Joaquin Castro said she had a crazed look on her face.
As she was led into an elevator by security, she was heard to shout, "This is not one nation under God. It never was."
Reidy also screamed, "Praise be to God, Lord Jesus Christ."
The outburst occurred while the House was voting on legislation ending the government shutdown and extending the federal debt limit.
washington, d.c., government shutdown, president barack obama, national/world
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man