Grandmother arrested in Ariz. in alleged drug plot
GILBERT, Ariz. (AP) - October 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Texas woman has been arrested on allegations that she had her 9-year-old granddaughter plant drugs in her son-in-law's car in Arizona so she could gain fulltime custody of the child.
Gilbert police say 58-year-old SanJuanita Carbajal was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of child abuse.
Authorities say Carbajal has limited custody of her granddaughter. Her hometown wasn't immediately available.
Police suspect she gave the child several packets containing 4 grams of cocaine and told her where to put them in her father's vehicle.
Carbajal also allegedly told her granddaughter to tell people about the drugs at her elementary school and show one of the baggies to a teacher.
Authorities used a test kit to determine the substance was cocaine.
Gilbert police didn't immediately know Thursday if Carbajal has an attorney.
arizona, drugs, national/world
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Woman's body found in Berks County ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!