Grandmother arrested in Ariz. in alleged drug plot
GILBERT, Ariz. (AP) - October 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Texas woman has been arrested on allegations that she had her 9-year-old granddaughter plant drugs in her son-in-law's car in Arizona so she could gain fulltime custody of the child.
Gilbert police say 58-year-old SanJuanita Carbajal was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of child abuse.
Authorities say Carbajal has limited custody of her granddaughter. Her hometown wasn't immediately available.
Police suspect she gave the child several packets containing 4 grams of cocaine and told her where to put them in her father's vehicle.
Carbajal also allegedly told her granddaughter to tell people about the drugs at her elementary school and show one of the baggies to a teacher.
Authorities used a test kit to determine the substance was cocaine.
Gilbert police didn't immediately know Thursday if Carbajal has an attorney.
arizona, drugs, national/world
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens to distant waters 10 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash 16 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 14 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos