Nebraska man among 49 killed in Laos plane crash
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - October 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Nebraska man is among the 49 killed in a plane crash in Laos.
A pastor to the man and his family says 25-year-old Joel Babcock died in the Wednesday crash. The Rev. Glen Wapelhorst of Christ is King Community Church in Norfolk says Babcock's wife, Angelin, who was from Mayalsia, also died in the crash.
Wapelhorst said Thursday that he has spoken to most of Babcock's immediate family. He says Babcock's parents and a brother were flying to Laos on Thursday as officials in that country work to recover the bodies of those killed.
Wapelhorst says Babcock moved from Nebraska to Laos with his family as a young boy, but lived in Lincoln and attended the University of Nebraska-Lincoln from 2007 until 2010 before moving back to Laos.
plane crash, Malaysia, nebraska, national/world
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos