Firefighter not charged in death after Asiana crash
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - October 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A firefighter who ran over and killed a survivor of the Asiana Airlines crash at San Francisco International Airport will not be charged with a crime, prosecutors said Friday.
Chinese student Ye Mengyuan, 16, survived the July 6 crash only to be run over by a fire truck while she was covered in firefighting foam, authorities have said.
The death "was a tragic accident that did not involve any violation of our criminal laws," San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said in a news release.
Wagstaffe said he arrived at his decision after reviewing police, fire and other first responder reports, the coroner's investigation and numerous videos of events at the scene.
In all, 304 of the 307 people aboard the Boeing 777 survived the crash, although dozens of people were injured.
Ye and a friend were seated at the back of the plane that came in too low and too slow, clipping its landing gear and tail on a rocky seawall just short of the runway.
It was unclear how Ye got from the airplane to the spot where she died. Investigators believe she was down on the ground and not standing during the aftermath of the plane crash.
The cause of the crash is under investigation. The National Transportation Safety Board has said it did not find any mechanical problems with the plane during a preliminary review.
But the plane's pilots, as well as the airline, have raised the possibility that a key device that controls the Boeing 777's speed may have malfunctioned.
Ye and her close friend, 16-year-old Wang Linjia, who also died, were students at Jiangshan Middle School in Zhejiang, an affluent coastal province in eastern China, Chinese state media has reported. They were part of a group of students and teachers from the school who were heading to summer camp in Southern California.
The other victim, 15-year-old Liu Yipeng, later died at a hospital.
san francisco, plane crash, national/world
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks 47 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Body found on side of road in Wilmington
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
47 min ago