FDNY: Candles caused fire that killed 3 young brothers
NEW YORK - October 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- New York fire marshals say a blaze at a Bronx apartment building that killed three young brothers was started by candles after electricity was cut.
Fire officials say Friday's fire started in a second-floor apartment of a six-story building just blocks from Yankee Stadium. Five-year-old Elijah Artis, 2-year-old Jeremiah Artis and 4-month-old Michael Turner were pronounced dead at a hospital.
Police say their 25-year-old mother and her two other children, a 4-year-old girl and 4-month-old girl, are stable.
Fire marshals said Saturday the fire started in the kitchen and was accidental, but there were no smoke alarms. Con Edison says the power was cut because of unpaid bills.
The building is about 10 blocks from the site of a 2007 fire that killed 10 people, including 8 children.
new york, fire, children, national/world
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Clouds, some sun, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover 20 min ago
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in local scam
- Hunting Park standoff ends with surrender
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote
- Sophia, Jackson most popular baby names of 2013
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion