3 dead after dust causes crashes on I-10 in Arizona
CASA GRANDE, Ariz. (AP) - October 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Three people were killed and at least 12 injured after a dust storm led to multiple crashes Tuesday on Interstate 10 between Phoenix and Tucson, authorities said.
Arizona Department of Public Safety officials identified one of those killed as George Lee Smith, 77, of Mead, Washington.
They said Smith's wife was injured, but her condition wasn't immediately disclosed.
DPS officials said 19 vehicles - 10 commercial vehicles, seven passenger cars, one tanker and one recreational vehicle - were involved in chain-reaction collisions south of Casa Grande shortly after noon.
Television footage showed that several cars and tractor-trailers smashed into each other near Picacho Peak in south-central Arizona, with at least one passenger car pinned between two 18-wheelers and others wedged under big rigs.
Medical helicopters airlifted several of the injured to hospitals in Tucson and Phoenix, and DPS officials said at least one person was in critical condition.
The names and hometowns of the other two killed weren't immediately available, authorities said.
The Picacho Peak area is prone to dust storms that develop suddenly and can quickly reduce visibility to zero for drivers.
The National Weather Service had issued a blowing dust advisory shortly before the crashes, with wind gusts of up to 30 mph reported in the area.
DPS spokesman Bart Graves said Tuesday's crash was one of the worst chain-reaction accidents in that area in the past seven years.
Parts of the westbound lanes of I-10 at the crash scene were closed for more than five hours.
arizona, accident, national/world
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 41 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 14 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
41 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos