California high school bans body-shaking twerking
ALISO VIEJO, Calif. (AP) - October 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- One Southern California high school has added twerking to its list of dances that are banned for students.
The Orange County Register reports Tuesday that administrators at Aliso Niguel High School decided the rump-busting dance is sexually suggestive and should no longer be allowed on campus or at dances.
Twerking now joins "freaking" and "grinding" as prohibited dances at the Orange County school. Those who break the rules could be ineligible for future dances for the remainder of the school year. Parents also will be notified.
No other high schools in the Capistrano Unified School District say they have banned twerking.
Twerking has gained recent popularity among teens thanks to pop star Miley Cyrus, but the dance has been around for a while.
california, miley cyrus, national/world
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 4 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
4 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
3 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos