4 dead, 25 rescued in building collapse in Nigeria
LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) - November 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- An emergency official says four people were crushed to death and 25 rescued from the rubble when a four-story building under construction collapsed in the Nigerian economic center of Lagos.
General manager Femi Oke-Osanyintolu of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency said Tuesday they had sealed off the building site on upmarket Victoria Island.
Several workers injured when the top floor of the building collapsed on Monday have been hospitalized.
Such accidents are frequent in this West African nation where corruption is endemic and building contractors often use inferior products and cut corners. Dozens of people have died in collapsed buildings this year.
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 41 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 56 min ago
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 4 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 51 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship 41 min ago
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
41 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
36 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
56 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos