NY mom who killed kids seeks piece of their estate
MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) - November 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- A lawyer says a New York mother who drowned her three children in 2008 is seeking a share of the kids' $350,000 estate as a way of blocking their fathers from getting the money.
Attorney Peter Kelly made the revelation Wednesday during a hearing to decide whether Leatrice Brewer is entitled to a share of the estate.
Brewer's bid hinges on whether her case applies to New York's "Son of Sam" law that bars criminals from profiting from their crimes.
A judge at the Long Island hearing notes that because she was never convicted, Brewer may not be subject to the law. A ruling is expected later Wednesday.
The money comes from lawsuits the fathers settled with Nassau County over claims that social services workers failed to properly monitor Brewer.
new york, child death, drowning, national/world
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot while sleeping in South Philadelphia 33 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 4 min ago
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
2 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos