Man fatally shoots 3 ex-bandmates, himself in NYC
NEW YORK (AP) - November 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man kicked out of his indie rock band shot three of his bandmates to death in their Brooklyn apartment early Monday and wounded a fourth before killing himself on the roof, police said.
The band members were all from Iran but had come the United States in the past few years seeking more musical freedom. It wasn't immediately clear why the ex-member snapped, police said.
The shooting happened shortly after midnight in a row house in East Williamsburg, an industrial neighborhood home to mostly warehouses where artists can rent cheaper space than in trendier parts of the city.
Police found a 27-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the chest on the second floor. Two others were found shot in the head on the floor above, a 35-year-old and another whose age wasn't immediately known. Another member, 22, was wounded in the arm and was stable at a hospital.
The gunman was found on the roof with a self-inflicted shot to the head, police said. A rifle was found next to the body.
The victims' names were not immediately released.
Martin Greenman, 63, works around the corner from the shootings and said he would see the band members coming and going with their instruments.
"They seemed really nice, not violent or anything, just your typical guys," he said. "They never caused any trouble. I see them almost every day, it's really a shock."
The group played recent gigs in the New York indie rock scene at venues like the Knitting Factory and Brooklyn Bowl.
new york city, new york, murder, shooting, suicide, national/world
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 37 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 23 min ago
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst 37 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus 37 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off 37 min ago
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 20 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry 36 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 37 min ago
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
37 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search...
37 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean...
36 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
17 min ago