New version of iPad Mini now available
CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) - November 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Apple began selling a new iPad Mini on Tuesday without the usual fanfare.
Apple usually announces the availability date in advance, allowing loyal customers to line up at stores overnight to be among the first to buy one. This time, Apple quietly issued a news release on its immediate availability.
Supplies also are limited. People had to order them online to pick them up at Apple's retail stores.
This suggests Apple may be having problems producing enough iPad Minis. Apple CEO Tim Cook acknowledged during a conference call two weeks ago that "it's unclear whether we will have enough for the quarter or not."
The new Mini is the first version of the smaller iPad to feature a high-resolution display that Apple calls Retina. It also includes a power-efficient A7 chip, along with faster wireless and expanded LTE cellular connectivity.
It's available in silver or gray. Wi-Fi-only models will start at $399 for a 16-gigabyte gigabyte model, while cellular-capable models will start at $529 for the 16-gigabyte model. It's available in the U.S. and several other markets.
apple, ipad, national/world
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 18 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 20 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 23 min ago
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Pfizer recalls antidepressant Effexor 11 min ago
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 51 min ago
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber