Shark kills teen body boarder off Australian coast
SYDNEY (AP) - November 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- A teenager was killed on Saturday after being attacked by a shark off Australia's east coast in the second deadly attack this month, police said.
Zach Young, 19, was body boarding with three friends about 100 meters (330 feet) offshore at Riecks Point, near the northern New South Wales city of Coffs Harbour, when he was bitten on the legs, New South Wales police said in a statement.
Young's friends got him back to the beach, and bystanders tried in vain to save him before paramedics arrived, a New South Wales ambulance police spokeswoman said. Young had serious injuries to his legs and suffered cardiac arrest. Paramedics tried to resuscitate him, but he was pronounced dead a short time later.
Beaches in the area were closed for 24 hours. There was no information immediately available on the type of shark involved.
It was the second deadly attack in Australia this month. On Nov. 23, a 35-year-old surfer was fatally mauled by a shark off a beach near the Western Australia community of Gracetown. Three surfers have been killed in Gracetown in the past decade.
Although sharks are common along Australia's coastlines, fatal attacks are relatively rare. The country has averaged just more than one fatal attack per year over the past 50 years.
shark attack, australia, national/world
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 42 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 52 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 29 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City 29 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 1 min ago
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death 34 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 1 min ago
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 38 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 25 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos