30 sickened by carbon monoxide at Utah school
MONTEZUMA CREEK, Utah (AP) - November 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Sheriff's officials say about 30 students and staff members have been sickened by a carbon monoxide leak at a Utah elementary school, including two who were airlifted to hospitals.
The San Juan County Sheriff's Office says one student and one adult at the Montezuma Creek school in southeastern Utah were airlifted, and 23 other students and adults were driven to hospitals.
Authorities didn't say which hospitals the students and staff went to, and details on their conditions were not immediately available.
The community of Montezuma Creek is on the Navajo Reservation, about 15 miles west of the Colorado border.
The Sheriff's Office and school superintendent say the leak appears to have been caused by a water heater with a blocked ventilation system. The school was evacuated and will remain closed Monday.
State enrollment data show about 200 students attend the school.
utah, carbon monoxide, school, national/world
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow is turning the ground white again! 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 31 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware 5 min ago
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Snow is turning the ground white again!
7 min ago
- Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
5 min ago