5 Americans killed in Philippines typhoon
WASHINGTON (AP) - November 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- U.S. officials say five Americans have died in Philippines' Typhoon Haiyan and hundreds of other Americans have received assistance.
Testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, the State Department's Scot Maciel provided the updated U.S. death toll.
He said Tuesday U.S. officials have received more than 1,000 calls seeking information about Americans. About 475 people have been located.
The White House says the U.S. is now providing $37 million in humanitarian aid to victims of the deadly Nov. 8 storm. That's almost double what the U.S. has previously announced.
The typhoon was among the strongest on record. It killed or has left missing more than 5,000 people and displaced an estimated 4 million people. A major international relief mission is under way to help survivors.
philippines, severe weather, national/world
- Screaming vandal smashes police car windows 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 51 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 12 min ago
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle
53 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
12 min ago