Police: Yale campus safe, no gunman found
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - November 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- New Haven authorities say they have not found a gunman on Yale's campus and are leaning toward a call warning of an armed man heading to shoot up the school being a hoax.
New Haven Police Chief Dean Esserman said at a news conference Monday afternoon that New Haven and the Yale campus are both safe.
A lockdown was ended for the entire campus Monday afternoon after police spent the day searching rooms to confirm that no gunman was on campus.
New Haven police Officer David Hartman says an anonymous caller from a pay phone nearby told them his roommate had a gun and was heading to the campus.
Esserman says police hope to track down and arrest the caller.
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 29 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 28 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 16 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest