Student shot at Orlando-area high school
WINTER GARDEN, Fla. (AP) - December 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials say a suspect has been taken into custody after a student was shot at an Orlando-area high school.
Orange County Sheriff's Office spokesman Jane Watrel said in an email Wednesday the suspect was in custody, but she didn't immediately have any other details.
West Orange High School Principal Doug Szcinski said on the school's Facebook page that a student injured in the shooting was taken to a hospital. He described the student as "alert." The principal said the school was on lockdown.
The Orange County Sheriff's Office earlier said on Twitter that police were investigating shots fired "near" the school.
The high school is located on the western side of metro Orlando.
florida, orlando, school shooting, national/world
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Milder Monday
25 min ago