1 child dead in Idaho elementary school bus crash
KUNA, Idaho (AP) - December 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say one child has died and five people were injured, including four children, when a dump truck collided with a school bus carrying elementary school students in a small southwestern Idaho city.
Emergency crews are responding to the scene Thursday in Kuna, a town about 30 minutes from Boise.
Canyon County Sheriff spokeswoman Theresa Baker confirmed the death and said the parents have been notified. Baker says as many as 10 children in the sixth grade or younger were on a bus destined for Crimson Point Elementary School.
Baker said officials had not yet reached the parents of all the injured children. Officials did not immediately release the names or ages of the kids involved.
Joshua Schlaich, a spokesman for St. Alphonsus Regional Medical Center, said two of the injured children have been transported to the St. Alphonsus hospital in Boise and two children and an adult were taken to the St. Alphonsus hospital in Nampa. He said he could not release the conditions of the children, and he didn't have the condition of the adult.
The collision occurred at an intersection on a two-lane country road lined by homes and farm fields between Nampa and Kuna. Authorities say the dump truck was traveling north on Happy Valley Road, when the driver approached the four-way intersection with no stop sign for that road. The bus was traveling east on the intersecting road, which did have a stop sign.
Idaho State Police Sgt. John Burke said it's too early to determine what went wrong. Neither driver was transported to the hospital.
"We can't really speculate. We need to gather more information and continue the investigation," Burke said.
Burke said the initial investigation would likely take all day. Some of the parents were at the scene, while others were expected to meet their children at the elementary school.
"It's a horrible ... it's a terrible thing," Burke said. "The family (of the deceased child) is devastated. They need our prayers and all we can do is hope they can get through it."
idaho, school bus, accident, child death, national/world
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 55 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos