American University campus lockdown lifted
WASHINGTON (AP) - December 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Washington, D.C. Police say the 85-minute lockdown of American University's campus was prompted by a call from a student who spotted a man wearing a gun holster on the university's shuttle bus.
Lt. Jesse Porter said authorities later determined the man was an off-duty police officer and the lockdown was lifted. Porter said no weapon was ever displayed, no threats were made, no crime was committed and there were no arrests or injuries.
Washington Police spokesman Officer Hugh Carew said the department received the report about 7:40 p.m. and that officers searched the campus. The lockdown was lifted at 9:25 p.m.
washington, d.c., national/world
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man rescued from Schuylkill River 2 min ago
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security 6 min ago
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 3 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Camden teen reported missing
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear 20 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!