Apple reaches deal to bring iPhone to China Mobile
NEW YORK - December 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Apple says it has reached a deal to bring the iPhone to China Mobile, the world's biggest phone carrier.
The deal ends a lengthy courtship and could boost sales of the iPhone in China. The iPhone, once hugely popular in China, has been eclipsed by the rise of lower-priced rival smartphones from Samsung and Chinese companies.
The iPhone 5S and 5C will go on sale in Apple stores and China Mobile stores beginning Friday, Jan. 17. China Mobile customers can register for phones starting Wednesday.
The companies didn't announce pricing or the terms of the agreement.
The iPhone, while popular around the world, has faced tough competition in recent years from cheaper smartphones running Google's Android software. Collectively, Android phones far outsell Apple's iPhone.
Analysts speculate that Apple could sell another 10 million to 40 million more phones if it reached a deal with China Mobile.
Apple CEO Tim Cook told the official Xinhua News Agency in January that he expects China to surpass the United States as its biggest market. Some 50 million iPhones have been sold in China in the past 2 1/2 years, according to analyst estimates.
China Mobile, which is owned by the Chinese government, has more than 750 million mobile accounts. However, a survey by Bernstein Research said some China Mobile consumers use smaller carriers for data service. Apple already has agreements with China Telecom Ltd. and China Unicom Ltd., which have about 455 million mobile accounts.
China Mobile wants to have the world's largest 4G network, and the new iPhones might help it win over customers. The company received approval to start operating the faster network earlier this month and plans to have 4G services available in 16 cities by the end of 2013. It aims to provide coverage for 340 cities by the end of 2014.
china, apple, national/world
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 32 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 8 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 5 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 11 min ago
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- 2 injured after vehicle hits sinkhole in...
34 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos