Police: Colorado teen shot, killed by stepfather
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - December 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a 14-year-old Colorado girl was fatally shot by her stepfather after a report of a burglary at her home.
Colorado Springs police spokesman Larry Herbert said the girl's stepfather fired the shot, but said it wasn't known if he had mistaken the teen for a burglar.
Police say the girl was shot around 6 a.m. Monday and later died at the hospital.
The stepfather hasn't been arrested or identified and it will be up to prosecutors to decide whether charges should be filed.
Herbert said police are looking at the stepfather's intent and whether he acted recklessly as they investigate the shooting.
Colorado's "Make My Day" law allows residents to defend themselves against intruders.
colorado, shooting, national/world
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 38 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act