Chicago teen charged after decapitated body found
CHICAGO (AP) - December 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say they've charged a teenager with murder in the death of a 41-year-old man whose decapitated body was found in a Chicago apartment on Christmas Day.
Police said in a statement Thursday that 18-year-old Alexis Valdez is charged with one count of first-degree murder.
The Cook County medical examiner's office identified the victim as Sylvester Diaz-Hernandez. The office says Diaz-Hernandez lived at the apartment on the Northwest Side where his body was found early Wednesday.
Authorities didn't provide other details, including whether the decapitation occurred before or after the victim died. The medical examiner's office did say that Diaz-Hernandez died of "multiple blunt and sharp-force injuries."
Authorities also didn't explain the relationship between Valdez and the victim.
There was no telephone listing for Valdez in Chicago.
chicago, illinois, murder, national/world
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures