Pope Francis invites friend for spin in the popemobile
VATICAN CITY (AP) - January 8, 2014 (WPVI) -- Pope Francis has broken with papal protocol once again, inviting a friend for a spin in his panoramic white car.
The Rev. Fabian Baez, a priest from Francis' hometown in Buenos Aires, didn't have a VIP ticket for the pope's weekly general audience Wednesday. But as soon as Francis saw him in the crowd, the pope signaled for the Vatican gendarmes to help Baez jump the barricade and approach him.
Francis then invited him to hop aboard, and Baez accompanied Francis on his tour through St. Peter's Square as the pope waved to well-wishers and kissed babies handed up to him.
Baez said he was shocked by Francis' invitation, telling reporters afterward: "I said to myself 'What am I doing here? Mamma mia!'"
vatican, italy, pope francis, national/world
- Autopsy results released in death of Pa. Trooper's wife 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd 4 min ago
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?