Texas school evacuated due to suspicious device
KATY, Texas (AP) - January 13, 2014 (WPVI) -- A Houston-area school district says a student is in custody after a bomb squad was dispatched to a high school for a "potential explosive device" in a campus building.
The Katy school district announced on its website that Seven Lakes High School was safely evacuated Monday after campus police learned of a "perceived threat." The Harris County sheriff's office responded.
The district about 20 miles west of Houston says the potential explosive was later identified and that a "student suspect is in custody." It did not elaborate.
Students were evacuated to an enclosed area on the baseball and football fields. They were later released for the day and after-school activities canceled.
Messages seeking further details have been left for the district's public information office and sheriff's department.
houston, texas, bomb scare, national/world
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police