Texas school evacuated due to suspicious device
KATY, Texas (AP) - January 13, 2014 (WPVI) -- A Houston-area school district says a student is in custody after a bomb squad was dispatched to a high school for a "potential explosive device" in a campus building.
The Katy school district announced on its website that Seven Lakes High School was safely evacuated Monday after campus police learned of a "perceived threat." The Harris County sheriff's office responded.
The district about 20 miles west of Houston says the potential explosive was later identified and that a "student suspect is in custody." It did not elaborate.
Students were evacuated to an enclosed area on the baseball and football fields. They were later released for the day and after-school activities canceled.
Messages seeking further details have been left for the district's public information office and sheriff's department.
houston, texas, bomb scare, national/world
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 7 min ago
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ