Judge sets new trial date for Jodi Arias
PHOENIX (AP) - January 13, 2014 (WPVI) -- A judge has set a March 17 trial date to decide whether Jodi Arias should be sentenced to life in prison or the death penalty.
The 33-year-old Arias was convicted of murder last year, but the jury deadlocked on her punishment. A new penalty phase must be held in which lawyers are expected to bring evidence and call witnesses.
The Maricopa County court system announced the date Monday after a closed-door hearing in the case.
The first trial became an international sensation as it revealed violent and tawdry details about the crime and people followed the case on live video streams. But the judge will limit video in the courtroom for the next trial.
arizona, trial, national/world
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike 35 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber