4 shot at NC church; boy, 12, critically wounded
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (AP) - January 28, 2014 (WPVI) -- Police in a North Carolina town are searching for a shooter who sprayed a church playground with gunfire, striking four youths playing basketball and critically wounding a 12-year-old boy.
The Rev. James Gailliard at Word Tabernacle Church in Rocky Mount says the shooting happened Monday shortly before 6 p.m., as neighborhood teens played basketball on courts behind the sanctuary.
The pastor says he heard more than 15 gunshots and then held a boy shot in the head until authorities arrived.
The child was taken to a hospital by helicopter, where he remained in critical condition. Police said the others shot - ages 13, 17 and 19 - were treated and released.
The shooting comes just more than a week after a 15-year-old boy was shot and killed nearby.
north carolina, shooting, national/world
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video 17 min ago
- Wet to Wintry! 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line 32 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea 26 min ago
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled 31 min ago
- High wings bring damage to Abington Twp. 34 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Souderton student to sing at Carnegie Hall
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police