Cruise ship returns to Texas with 170 sick aboard
PASADENA, Texas (AP) - Jnauary 31, 2014 (WPVI) -- More than 170 passengers and crew members have fallen sick aboard a cruise ship, prompting it to return two days early to a Houston-area port.
The Caribbean Princess returned to the Bayport Cruise Terminal in Pasadena late Thursday. Princess Cruises, which owns the ship, says the highly contagious norovirus spread quickly among passengers, forcing a premature end to their voyage.
The company says in a statement that Centers for Disease Control officials will board the ship Friday to ensure thorough sanitation.
The Caribbean Princess left the Pasadena port Jan. 25 bound for the Caribbean with more than 4,200 people aboard. It had been scheduled to return Saturday.
Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas returned to New Jersey on Wednesday after nearly 700 aboard fell sick with the same gastrointestinal illness.
texas, cruises, national/world
- Armored car robbed outside bank in Tacony
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 30 min ago
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 14 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply 33 min ago
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
14 min ago