Woman charged with kidnapping baby found in Iowa
TOWN OF BELOIT, Wis. (AP) - February 7, 2014 (WPVI) -- Federal prosecutors have charged a Denver woman with kidnapping a newborn from his southern Wisconsin home.
U.S. Attorney John Vaudreuil filed the charge against Kristin Smith on Friday afternoon, hours after an Iowa police chief discovered the nearly week-old Kayden Powell alive and well in a plastic storage bin outside a West Branch, Iowa, gas station.
The newborn disappeared from the Town of Beloit house where he was staying with his mother early Thursday morning. Police arrested Smith hours later at a gas station about a half-mile from the station where the newborn was found.
Smith faces life in prison if she's convicted.
children, wisconsin, national/world
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Camden teen reported missing 41 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 8 min ago
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Woman's body found in Berks County ID'd 23 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!