Woman charged with kidnapping baby found in Iowa
TOWN OF BELOIT, Wis. (AP) - February 7, 2014 (WPVI) -- Federal prosecutors have charged a Denver woman with kidnapping a newborn from his southern Wisconsin home.
U.S. Attorney John Vaudreuil filed the charge against Kristin Smith on Friday afternoon, hours after an Iowa police chief discovered the nearly week-old Kayden Powell alive and well in a plastic storage bin outside a West Branch, Iowa, gas station.
The newborn disappeared from the Town of Beloit house where he was staying with his mother early Thursday morning. Police arrested Smith hours later at a gas station about a half-mile from the station where the newborn was found.
Smith faces life in prison if she's convicted.
children, wisconsin, national/world
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 20 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 39 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 10 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
10 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos