Parenting Perspective: Matt's Christmas Observations
Monday, December 28, 2009
December 28, 2009 (WPVI) -- A few things I noticed as Christmas passed through our house like a barnstorming biplane:
- My daughter is not so sure about Santa, but not for the reasons you might think; she couldn't sleep at all on Christmas Eve night because she was afraid of a stranger sneaking into our house through the chimney; I guess this is a good fear to have if you are six.
- No matter how many gifts the kids get, there is always that look of surprise when you tell them there are no more presents to open.
- Leaving bits of snow at the base of the fireplace was a nice touch to make sure they continue believing in you-know-who
- Packing technology for toys has advanced much quicker than my own ability to open the darn things.
- Getting gifts from your wife and kids is great, but didn't I pay for them anyway?
- Actually, the best presents are the ones that are unexpected and thoughtful - like that sleep mask I got one time (very useful for going to bed at 6:30pm), and a tiny screwdriver set that is perfect for small home repairs.
- Wrapping presents is kind of like making your bed - sure, it looks nice for a while, but someone's bound to mess it all up and soon, so isn't it a waste of time?
- Sitting at the couch for extended periods of time on this day is not only accepted, it is encouraged.
- Eating and drinking for extended periods of time on this day - not only accepted, but encouraged.
- He would still shoot his eye out with that Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
parenting, matt o'donnell
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot while sleeping in South Philadelphia 4 min ago
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos