Parenting Perspective: Traveling Without Your Kids
May 17, 2010 (WPVI) -- When my girls were little, I use to travel frequently while working in the Programming Department for Channel 6. We frequently visited movie sets, and television sitcoms while working for our daily morning talk show.
But, I've rarely traveled over the last 4 years. When I went to LA last week for Dancing With The Stars, it was difficult for my kids. And now, I'm getting ready to fly back to LA for the show's finale.
When I searched online, most of the suggestions dealt with paperwork. It's recommended you prepare a will, letters for babysitters including medical records, and a letter authorizing the babysitter to take your child to the doctor. But, I really wanted tips on how to deal with the emotions for the parent and the children specifically when you're traveling for business.
I found some suggestions that helped me written by Kelby Carr for "Family Travel Suite101.com". Carr suggests you prepare by explaining to your children why you have to travel and why they can't come with you. It's important they understand that they are not the reason for your leaving and explain what will happen while you are gone.
Create mementos like photos of you and the kids and perhaps use a soft baby-friendly photo album for toddlers. Carr suggests you use multimedia to leave a recorded bedtime song or story! Create specific times to call so they'll know when they're going to hear from you next and stay upbeat on the phone. If possible, try to schedule some special time before or after the trip.
I think they're great suggestions. I did wake up 4am LA time to call my kids before school and they looked forward to it as part of their normal routine. When you're planning special time with the kids, you may want to keep it simple. I often feel that we spend better quality time when we're sitting in our house coloring or playing cars, rather than racing around to a museum or a movie.
karen rogers parenting reports, parenting, karen rogers
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 55 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
55 min ago
- Milder Monday
58 min ago