Parenting Perspective: Running with your kids
August 16, 2010 (WPVI) -- For 8 Tuesday evenings in a row, each summer, the playing fields at the Westtown School in Chester County are transformed into a cross country racing course for all ages.
Before the adult's 5k, children even younger than two years old run one of two shorter races: 200 meters for kids 6 and under, and a mile for those over 6 years old.
Kevin Kelly, owner of the Chester County Running store, which hosts the series, says it's a great way to build self-esteem as well as fitness: "These kids get a lot out of just coming here and covering the distance, a lap around the field and a challenging mile that's pretty tough. Finishing, especially in the heat is an accomplishment for a lot of them."
As a parent, it's important not to push your youngster into exercising, but present it in a way that encourages your child to want to do it. One of the best ways, is to be an example: if you show that you enjoy exercising, your kids will likely enjoy it as well.
"Play is huge for kids," says Kelly. "If you show that exercise is fun, that it doesn't have to be an organized activity, but just playing ball or running around with friends for 45 minutes, to an hour, your child will naturally become more active. And if you can exercise as a family, even just going for a walk after dinner, it's great for them."
For my family, the summer cross country series means our 4-1/2 year old son Luke gets to warm up with fellow runner...Daddy.
For our nearly 3-year old daughter, Emma, the weekly races are a chance for her imagination to take flight, since she enjoys wearing her fairy wings and pretending she is a butterfly during the races.
Like any kind of exercise program, check with your pediatrician to ensure that your children are healthy enough for the activities. Start off slow, and combine exercise with healthy eating and make sure your children drink plenty of liquids, especially during the hot summer months.
The Chester County Running Store also holds children-only cross country races this Fall. In the races, every finisher takes away an award, and more importantly, the love of exercise and healthy competition that hopefully, will last a lifetime.
cecily tynan parenting reports, parenting, cecily tynan
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 28 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 40 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 1 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 7 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Saving with 6abc: Bridal savings 20 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
40 min ago