Parenting Perspective: Problems with milk
October 7, 2010 (WPVI) -- My son is now a toddler - walking, sporting lots of teeth, and showing off his big boy first haircut. Passing the year mark also meant we were told he could switch from formula to whole milk. We were glad to be done with scoops and expensive powders.
But after a few weeks of doing well, he started spitting up again. We wondered what it could be - was he lactose intolerant?
We cut back on the milk and put him back on a formula for toddlers. And I've got a call in to the pediatrician.
But the question about lactose intolerance sent me to the web, with interesting results. Turns out my kid probably does not have the intolerance, which shows itself more in diarrhea, stomach cramps, bloating and gas - not spitting up.
BabyCenter.com also reports lactose intolerance tends to show up more older kids, not toddlers.
And a note: lactose intolerance is not the same as a milk allergy. That's more likely to show up hives, watery eyes or drippy nose.
The website suggests doing a little test, removing dairy from your child's diet and then adding it back in slowly to pinpoint either items or amounts that bother your child. Turns out while some kids can't tolerate milk well, they do okay with yogurt or some cheeses, which are lower in lactose. And some kids can tolerate a little milk with food, even if a lot of milk solo makes them sick.
If you do try removing dairy, make sure supplement your toddler's calcium intake through leafy greens, fortified juice or soymilk, oranges, canned salmon or broccoli.
But as with all these things, it's best to not just diagnose at home. Check with a pediatrician, who can give you the best guidance for your kiddo.
tamala edwards parenting reports, parenting, tamala edwards
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff 22 min ago
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 49 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 25 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs 14 min ago
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
22 min ago
- Group calls on Phila. City Council for...
20 min ago