Parenting: His own laptop?
November 23, 2010 (WPVI) -- I have a small laptop that gets a lot of use at home - primarily by my 8-year-old.
I'm never far away when he uses it, but sometimes it becomes a source of a proverbial tug of war between father and son. He likes to visit children's websites and play games, and I use it to read various online newspapers.
Well recently, Nicholas asked for his "own" laptop for Christmas. Not really sure if this is a good idea, I did a little research.
Certainly, the price of a small laptop that can be used to surf the web has come down considerably, but that's not the only good news apparently. There are some "mini" laptops that aren't too heavy to carry around, but are pretty durable. They also have small keyboards for small fingers and even a spill-proof keyboard.
But the real question is does an 8-year-old need his own laptop? And there are various opinions on that. Some experts say kids shouldn't have such a device - even a cell phone - until the teen years, primarily because of all the questionable materials on the internet, despite web-filters and parental controls. Others warn about a child becoming consumed or addicted with his laptop.
For me, the bottom line is this: how responsible is your child? And how much parental supervision are you willing to give? That's what I have to determine before deciding yes or no.
The internet can be a dark place for a child. But it's up to us parents to provide a constant light. And whether that means a parental lock on a laptop, or perhaps a desktop with limited family time, that's up to you.
Good luck. Boy, have times changed since I was a kid.
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed 4 min ago
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash 57 min ago
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Parts of Christiana Mall lose power 1 min ago
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Camden man accused of robbing 5 banks in 1 month 43 min ago
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs; $1M ticket sold in NJ
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Bedbug fighter recalled over fire hazard 36 min ago