Parenting: Cooking with youngsters
January 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- In this Parenting Perspective report, I'm going to focus on a fun way to get your young children to eat a variety of healthy foods.
It doesn't HAVE to be difficult, just get them cooking! So says Personal Chef Debi Reichert, "I've found, across the board, from toddlers to teenager, even, that when kids make something themselves, and become personally invested in the process, that they are willing to try things that they are never willing to try otherwise."
Chef Debi suggests, when introducing young children to cooking, try a recipe that is fun, healthy and tasty. She showed my 3-year-old daughter, Emma, and 5-year-old Luke, how to make homemade chicken tenders, dipped in light ranch dressing and coated with crushed baked potato chips.
First step: washing your hands well. Then, crushing the potato chips in zip lock bags (who can resist?!) Then, using tongs so not to touch the chicken, show your children how to take the uncooked chicken out of the bowl of ranch dressing, coat them in the crushed chips, and line them up on a baking sheet.
By cooking with your children, you can expand more than just their palettes. It can teach skills like measuring, math, and following directions. Even by letting our children cut fruit, with an age-appropriate knife, you can encourage them to reach for healthy snacks, while improving hand-eye coordination.
One fun snack idea, creating a rainbow of fruit pieces on skewer. "Most kids like eating food off a stick, and it's a great way to reinforce the idea of eating a rainbow everyday: assortment of different colored fruits and vegetables, something you really should eat for a healthy diet," says Chef Reichert.
After 30 minutes in a 350-degree oven, I'm happy to report that my little chefs LOVED their own cooking. I'm looking forward to trying out more.
Happy Parenting! Cecily
cecily tynan parenting reports, holidays, parenting, cecily tynan
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 1 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 12 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 53 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 50 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 56 min ago
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 32 min ago
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos