Parenting: Fun in the snow?
January 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Sure, the snow has been a pain in the neck this winter, but one thing it has provided for me is some quality father-son time.
Having an 8-year-old in the house means plenty of sledding, building snowmen, and of course hilarious snowball fights. In some ways I've been reminded of how much fun winter can be. It may just make the shoveling, the snowy traffic back-ups, the travel headaches and the slipping and sliding just a little bit more manageable - just a little bit.
If we see it through the eyes of a child, maybe it will dishearten us. During the last snowfall, while I was shoveling our walkway, Nicholas was making snow angels and having great fun.
All of a sudden he yells to me, "Hey dad come make one with me!" At first, it sounded like the craziest idea, laying on my back in almost a foot of snow... but then I saw things differently.
It was the best angel I ever made - even though it took me a while to get up. And unlike Nicholas, I wasn't wearing an insulated snow suit, so I was pretty soaked. But my spirit was warmed by the laughter and lunacy of the moment.
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes