Parenting: Fun in the snow?
January 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Sure, the snow has been a pain in the neck this winter, but one thing it has provided for me is some quality father-son time.
Having an 8-year-old in the house means plenty of sledding, building snowmen, and of course hilarious snowball fights. In some ways I've been reminded of how much fun winter can be. It may just make the shoveling, the snowy traffic back-ups, the travel headaches and the slipping and sliding just a little bit more manageable - just a little bit.
If we see it through the eyes of a child, maybe it will dishearten us. During the last snowfall, while I was shoveling our walkway, Nicholas was making snow angels and having great fun.
All of a sudden he yells to me, "Hey dad come make one with me!" At first, it sounded like the craziest idea, laying on my back in almost a foot of snow... but then I saw things differently.
It was the best angel I ever made - even though it took me a while to get up. And unlike Nicholas, I wasn't wearing an insulated snow suit, so I was pretty soaked. But my spirit was warmed by the laughter and lunacy of the moment.
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- 2 dead in Pennsauken doctor's office shooting ID'd
- Stormy to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Chrysler recalls 2.7 million Jeeps
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- 2 sought in Rehoboth Beach credit card fraud
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos