Parenting: Fun in the snow?
January 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Sure, the snow has been a pain in the neck this winter, but one thing it has provided for me is some quality father-son time.
Having an 8-year-old in the house means plenty of sledding, building snowmen, and of course hilarious snowball fights. In some ways I've been reminded of how much fun winter can be. It may just make the shoveling, the snowy traffic back-ups, the travel headaches and the slipping and sliding just a little bit more manageable - just a little bit.
If we see it through the eyes of a child, maybe it will dishearten us. During the last snowfall, while I was shoveling our walkway, Nicholas was making snow angels and having great fun.
All of a sudden he yells to me, "Hey dad come make one with me!" At first, it sounded like the craziest idea, laying on my back in almost a foot of snow... but then I saw things differently.
It was the best angel I ever made - even though it took me a while to get up. And unlike Nicholas, I wasn't wearing an insulated snow suit, so I was pretty soaked. But my spirit was warmed by the laughter and lunacy of the moment.
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 32 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 42 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- 'GMA' promotes Lara Spencer to co-host 41 min ago