Parenting: Books for breakfast
March 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- My son and I have discovered that a perfect time for reading during the day is in the morning, during breakfast.
His 3rd grade teacher expects him to read at least 20 pages a day from his favorite book, and sometimes the evening becomes bogged down with the other two R's (writing and arithmetic).
So while Nicholas is eating his cereal or toast or muffins in the morning, there is usually a book in his hand. Certainly getting to this point was no easy feat. Television used to be our constant breakfast companion... and convincing Nicholas to turn off the TV and pick up a book instead took some convincing. But what I found is that he enjoys reading out loud to me or his mom. It's fun for him and entertaining for us.
That's how I convinced him to turn to books during breakfast. He'll read to me, between bites of course, not while he's chewing.
And here's more food for thought: educators and child development experts will tell you that reading aloud is more than just a stepping stone to reading silently. It's also a great way for your child to develop attention skills, build their vocabulary and comprehension, and most importantly, a love for books.
So if you're already doing the one-on-one bedtime story, think about ways to switch up the sessions. Try reading over breakfast.
Whatever time of day you choose, it's important to be consistent and stick with it.
rick williams parenting reports, parenting, rick williams
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 1 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 30 min ago
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 28 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 20 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Uwchlan Twp. man arrested following...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos